- The Bulldogs open Mountain West play this week at New Mexico & Air Force.
- The 'Dogs have won three straight MW openers.
FRESNO, Calif. - The Fresno State volleyball team opens Mountain West play at New Mexico and Air Force.
Fresno State at New Mexico (10-2, 1-0 MW)
Sept. 23, 2021 • 5:30 P.M. PT • Johnson Center • Albuquerque, N.M.
Series History: Fresno State leads 16-15 • Last: FS 3-11 (3/27/21)
Fresno State at Air Force (3-8, 0-1 MW)
Sept. 25, 2021 • 11 A.M. PT • Cadet East Gym • USAFA, Colo.
Series History: Fresno State leads 11-9 • Last: FS 3-2 (3/6/21)
- Fresno State opens Mountain West play this week staying on the road traveling to New Mexico and Air Force.
- The 'Dogs closed out non-conference action last week in Washington falling to No. 7 Washington in three sets and defeated Montana State in four sets.
- Desiree Sukhov notched Fresno State's first triple-double as a member of the Mountain West against Montana State leading the 'Dogs with 14 kills, 13 digs & 10 service aces.
- Sukhov set a new program record for service aces in a single match with 10 surpassing the previous high mark of seven set by Holly Franks in 2013.
- The Bulldogs have won three straight MW openers and are 5-4 in MW openers.
- The 'Dogs have notched road wins in 2012 & 2018 at New Mexico and 2015 & Spring 2021 at Air Force as members of the MW.
By The Numbers
3 - The 'Dogs have won three straight Mountain West openers
14 – Desiree Sukhov is one of only 14 players to record a triple-double this season
33 – Grace Doyle ranks second in the MW & 33rd in the nation in hitting pct. (.410)
Glance back at last week
- The 'Dogs fell in straight sets to No. 7 Washington, their first ranked opponent since 2019 & highest ranked foe since 2011, and defeated Montana State in four sets.
- The Bulldogs closed out non-conference action with a 4-4 mark earning wins over CSUN, UC Riverside, Ohio and MSU.
Sukhov notches triple-double
- Sukhov tallied Fresno State's first triple-double as a member of the Mountain West against Montana State leading the Bulldogs with 14 kills, 13 digs & 10 service aces.
- Sukhov is one of only 14 players in the nation to record a triple-double this season and the only one from the Mountain West.
Fresno State in Mountain West openers
- Fresno State is 5-4 in Mountain West openers with wins over Boise State (2012), Utah State (2013), San Diego State (2018), Nevada (2019) & San Diego State (Spring 2021).
- Fresno State has won three straight MW openers.
- The 'Dogs have opened MW play on the road in 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 & Spring 2021.
2021 MW/NCAA rankings
- Service aces per set: 1.87 (3rd MW/35th NCAA)
- Blocks per set: 1.97 (7th MW/170th NCAA)
- Total service aces: 58 (7th MW/165th NCAA)
- Opponent hitting percentage: .219 (8th MW/226th NCAA)
- Grace Doyle: Hitting pct: .410 (2nd MW/33rd NCAA)
- Desiree Sukhov: Service aces per set: 0.61 (2nd MW/12th NCAA)
- Sukhov: Service Aces: 19 (5th MW/43rd NCAA)
'Dogs in non-conference action
- Fresno State posted a 4-4 record in non-conference action and is now 19-14 in non-conference action under Coach Winder.
- The Bulldogs are a perfect 4-0 when leading their opponents in kills, hitting percentage and service aces.
Scouting New Mexico
- New Mexico is off to a 10-2 start to the season with seven straight sweeps to start the season.
- The Lobos only two losses have come to UC San Diego and Northern Arizona.
- New Mexico opened MW play on Tuesday with a sweep at home over Air Force.
- UNM went 4-10 in the spring and placed 10th in the Mountain West.
- The Lobos lead the MW in digs per set (16.49), kills per set (13.51), opponent hitting percentage (.109) & digs (643) and sit second in assists per set (12.23), hitting percentage (.263) & attacks per set (34.74).
- Alena Moldan leads the MW in digs per set (5.00) and ranks 28th in the nation, setter Melissa Walden sits fourth in assists per set (9.15) & Kaitlynn Biassou is fourth in kills per set (3.51).
Scouting Air Force
- Air Force is 3-8 on the season with victories over Cal State Fullerton, Iowa & Incarnate Word.
- The Falcons posted a 7-6 mark in the spring and finished sixth in the MW.
- Air Force was selected seventh in the MW preseason poll.
- AF checks in second in the conference in blocks per set (2.41), fourth in blocks (99.0) and fifth in opponent hitting percentage (.191).
- Spring 2021 MW Freshman of the Year Joi Harvey ranks second in the MW and 17th in the nation in blocks per set (1.47).